Kong Chak Mun came to faith through the Boys’ Brigade youth ministry program. Before that, he practised Taoism. His mum told him he could join the Boy’s Brigade and the Lutheran church, but she said, ‘just don’t get baptised’!
However, five years after joining the youth group, Chak Man was baptised – a natural progression as his faith developed. At the Boys’ Brigade, he found people prepared to walk with him, correct him and care about him. They took the time to invest in his growth as a person and follower of Jesus.
When Chak Mun’s mum was diagnosed with cancer, he prayed that if God extended his mum’s life, he would serve him. His mother lived another four years, and Chak Mun went to Cambodia for two years as a volunteer, where he helped start the Boys’ Brigade with the Methodist church. Three years after moving back to Singapore, Chak Mun returned to Cambodia in 2015 to help the young Lutheran Church in Cambodia (LCC).
Kong Chak Mun works for the LCC as an administrator and ministry support person. He was sent by the Lutheran Church in Singapore (LCS) and is financially supported by LCA International Mission.
His passion for the Boys’ Brigade has continued, and even while serving in his current role, he continues with the youth program as one of five adult leaders, focusing on mentoring young people and walking beside them. He feels that, although every person has different hurts and challenges, each of God’s children needs words of encouragement, forgiveness and grace.
Even if Chak Mun doesn’t see all the fruits of what God has been doing through him in Cambodia, he trusts that God has used him to extend his kingdom.
- GOOD NEWS Story of the Week is a joint service of LCA Communications and the Districts to bring you joy and encouragement as you serve our Lord in your congregations and communities.
- Got a GOOD NEWS story to share? Please email LCA Communications firstname.lastname@example.org or your District office.
- Read more GOOD NEWS Story of the Week at www.lca.org.au/sow
- Visit www.lca.org.au/spread-the-word to find promotional materials to help you spread the word about our GOOD NEWS Story of the Week.
- Read the full GOOD NEWS Story of the Week and others like it in The Lutheran.