In less than a decade, social media has changed the way the world communicates. Like it or loathe it, it's the way entire generations communicate and we ignore it at our peril.
LCA social media
The Lutheran Church of Australia (LCA) uses these social media to help us communicate with you and the people in your world and to help you engage with us.
- LCA Facebook
- LCA YouTube
- LCA Twitter (which typically we use only during General Convention of Synod)
Your social media
Navigating the world of social media is tricky. Most people know by now that you never, ever, put anything on social media (even on your private or closed-group page) that you wouldn't want the world to see. You also know how easily you can harm the name of the Lutheran Church (and worse, the name of Jesus) if you post inappropriate material on social media. But there are also other things to consider:
- Does your congregation need a Facebook page?
- If so, who will be responsible for the content?
- How do you keep your people, especially children, safe on social media?
- How can you guard against inappropriate content being posted?
To give you some guidance, LCA Communications is constantly researching the best practice on social media and updating our LCA Social Media Guidelines. They include a sample social media policy for congregations. This is not the 'last word' on social media but it will point you in the right direction. We also have a Social Media Policy. Don't hesitate to contact us if you need some more guidance.