Demonstrating God’s love for us, by the way we behave towards one another, is central to life in our church.
It is important that we clearly articulate the standard of behaviour we expect from one another, not using vague language, but in useful practical terms. So we have developed specific standards of ethical behaviour for the Lutheran Church of Australia (LCA). These standards are applicable to all aspects of the life of the church. They relate to:
- our personal behaviour
- our pastoral care
- caring for children
- our communications
- financial and administrative matters.
How we serve
The Professional Standards Department protects people while supporting the LCA’s church workers and volunteers.
We assist congregations and other bodies:
- to implement the required ethical standards by providing comprehensive training programs
- by following up, after training workshops, to provide advice and assistance
- to improve their management of risks associated with ethical issues
- with some types of complaints
- by working with other departments to ensure efficient administration and record keeping.
We often assist people in dealing with some very difficult and complex situations; great courage can be required to address them.
We promote the gospel message of forgiveness, together with a reconciliation of relationships, and resolution of issues based on sound scriptural guidelines. However, this message of forgiveness does not remove the need to take actions that are necessary to protect our vulnerable people.
Please keep in mind that the need to demonstrate God’s love is the foundation of all of our advice and assistance. Together with the other areas of the church, we are aiming to bring God's love to life.
LCA Ministry Support
Professional Standards is a department of the Executive Office of the Church, under the Office of the LCA Bishop. It is one of five departments exercising the 'enabling' functions outlined in our LCA Strategic Direction 2015–2018. Working with us are:
- Church Worker Support
- Communications (including The Lutheran)
- Finance & Administration (including IT)
- Lutheran Archives.
Together we provide the support services for LCA and Lutheran Church of New Zealand (LCNZ) agencies and congregations that enable them to focus on their mission and ministry activities (the 'go' and 'grow' priorities in our LCA Strategic Direction).