Hymns and Copyright
While many hymns are in the Public Domain, which means that they are free to use because their authors died many years ago, some hymns, particularly those in the Lutheran Hymnal supplement, remain under copyright. That means you must obtain permission before using them. This is usually done through a licensing agency such as CCLI or One Licence.
- Music and Copyright
- Lutheran Hymnal Supplement Copyright Listing
- List of Public Domain/Permission Given Hymns
Other Hymn Resources
New Australian worship resource now on video – sing your favourite hymns at home, in church or wherever you want to sing! Organisations and church communities can purchase a high quality digital download pack which also includes lifetime permission for public use in worship settings, streaming worship, incorporating into powerpoints and other online worship methods. Purchases and donations will help us produce more collections in the future. For private use, a limited selection is available free on Youtube or own the full collection on CD/ DVD by going to hymnsing.com.au
Backing tracks and/or lyrics
- Small Church Music – You can download MP3 and midi files of popular hymn tunes from this site (free)
- Hymns Without Words – MP3 downloads of hymn tunes (free)
- Hymnary – Lyrics, midis and MP3s of thousands of hymns (free)
- Together to Celebrate - lectionary-based song and hymn suggestions from a variety of sources
- Singing from the Lectionary - has song and hymn suggestions based on the RCL from other hymnals
All Together and Copyright
Many of the All Together songs are under copyright, which means that you must obtain permission to use them, usually from a licensing agency such as CCLI or One Licence. Here are some resources to help you:
- Music and Copyright (for more information about copyright)
- All Together Copyright Listing This listing is regularly updated, so keep checking back with this online listing
- List of Public Domain/Permission Given AT Songs
All Together Resources
Together in Song: Australian Hymn Book II
Together in Song is a collection of 783 psalms, hymns and spiritual songs for use in Christian worship in Australia and elsewhere. It was created by an ecumenical editorial committee containing representatives from the Anglican, Churches of Christ, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic and Uniting churches.
Australian Church Resources sell backing tracks of full organ for congregational singing :
Songs of Grace supplement to Together in Song
Songs of Grace is a supplement to Together in Song, featuring 54 new songs. Songs of Grace continues on from where Together in Song finished, so is numbered from 784.
This book is available in full harmony, but also includes scripture and church year references for both hymnbooks, so it is a resource not only for the musician, but for the person responsible for worship planning/song choosing.
Available as a book or CD-Rom here.
Five Songs of Faith is a new setting of the service with communion for the Lutheran Church of Australia. It has been composed by Simon Schmidt and is a project of the LCA’s Commission on Worship. Lyrics are available in Word and PowerPoint, music scores and MP3 backing tracks also available with and without vocal tracks free.