Our TV screens are filled with the horror of children suffering from war. Meet Hannah, from eastern Melbourne, who’s determined to help in any way she can.
Hannah heard about ALWS through her school, a Lutheran primary school in Melbourne. ‘I was captivated by ALWS’s efforts to support refugee children’s education all over the world’, she says. ‘I was determined to find a way to support their work.
‘We are so lucky in Australia, where we children don’t have to worry about wars. In Australia, most things we take for granted, like education and basic human needs, are a privilege for children in war-torn countries.’
During the school holidays, Hannah brainstormed fundraising ideas with her friends. She came up with an idea to make and sell bracelets and stickers. Her parents agreed to buy what she needed to make the items.
‘Initially I was going to sell them from a booth in my street’, Hannah says. ‘However, to reach a larger audience I decided to sell them online by creating my own website Embrace Your Style.
‘Anyone can purchase bracelets and stickers via my website, but the buyers have to donate the value of what they buy to ALWS. I have a goal of donating $520 and I am nearly halfway there. I am grateful to ALWS, my parents and friends for their support in helping me reach this goal.’
Jonathan Krause of ALWS says, ‘If Hannah can achieve her goal, she will support 20 refugee children to go to school. These are children who have fled war and found safety at places like the refugee camp at Kakuma in Kenya, which you support through ALWS.
‘Hannah shows that it doesn’t matter what age you are, or what resources you have. If you have a heart for helping, you can make a life-transforming difference!
‘That’s a style we can all embrace!’
- GOOD NEWS Story of the Week is a joint service of LCA Communications and the Districts to bring you joy and encouragement as you serve our Lord in your congregations and communities.
- Got a GOOD NEWS story to share? Please email LCA Communications email@example.com or your District office.
- Read more GOOD NEWS Story of the Week at www.lca.org.au/sow
- Visit www.lca.org.au/spread-the-word to find promotional materials to help you spread the word about our GOOD NEWS Story of the Week.
- Read the full GOOD NEWS Story of the Week and others like it in The Lutheran.