This week’s National Carers Week, from 10 to 16 October, is a time to recognise and celebrate the 2.65 million Australians and 430,000 New Zealanders who provide unpaid care and support to a family member or friend.
Many people in our Lutheran communities are carers and we can remember and celebrate them this month.
Messages of Hope by Lutheran Media has excellent resources that reflect the reality of being a carer and offer hope through this season. Episode 2 of the ‘Chronic Pain’ series at www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKlaRVk6rUY&t=2s explains what it means to be a carer and how to support carers.
You can order a discussion guide at www.messagesofhope.org.au/product/chronic-pain-ebook/ to use as a Bible study with small groups or families; it can also be packaged with the ‘Chronic Pain’ DVD series available from www.messagesofhope.org.au/product/chronic-pain-dvd/
Let’s give thanks to God for carers, honour their work, and support them in this essential role.
Ways to recognise and support carers in your church and wider communities include:
- Download Christian Care Sunday resources at lca.org.au/ccs and plan to include a prayer for carers in an upcoming worship service.
- Host a morning tea for carers to chat and connect – you can even do this online over Zoom if you can’t meet in person.
- Celebrate carers in your community with a card, coffee voucher or chocolate bar, or a prayer of blessing. You can order cards or tracts from Lutheran Tract Mission at www.ltm.org.au
If you would like support to celebrate National Carers Week or Christian Care Sunday in your congregation, email me at email@example.com
Anna Kroehn is the LCANZ’s Christian Care Sunday project officer.
- Visit www.lca.org.au/spread-the-word to find promotional materials (A5 flyers, PowerPoint slides and social media posts) to help you spread the word about our Story of the Week.
- Read the full Story of the Week and others like it in The Lutheran. 11 editions/year. Only $30 (digital) or $45 (print or print & digital – Aust), $47 (NZ). Gift subscriptions available. To subscribe: online www.thelutheran.com.au email firstname.lastname@example.org phone 08 8360 7270.