Sunday, 8 November 2020 – Twenty-Third Sunday after Pentecost, Year A (Third Last Sunday of the Church Year).
Welcome to Church@Home for this week!
This page includes a range of resources to help you worship at home. Please feel free to choose whatever best suits your needs at this time.
This week is also NAIDOC Week. NAIDOC Week recognises the importance of our indigenous people, and their heritage and role in Australia. The LCA Reconciliation Action Plan officer has produced a whole range of resources for worship in support of this important occasion. They are endorsed by the Commission on Worship. You can find these resources on the Service Orders tab for this week.
Church@Home Worship Service
This service has been adapted to suit the different nature of worshipping in your own home. It includes interactive elements, such as opportunities to talk to each other and activities for children (and people of all ages…) to encourage engagement in worship.
- Make sure everyone has access to the liturgy either by downloading the Church@Home PPT for the week or printing copies of the service order.
- Place a candle and cross and your bible (or phone with a Bible app) near you.
- You will see a place for a sermon. Use a sermon provided by your congregation, view one of the many online sermons available (go to View@Home), or choose one of the printable lay-reading sermons provided below.
- You will find two choices of music at each point in the service when singing is indicated. Please choose whichever combination of music you prefer – or listen to it all! Links to Youtube clips for each of the recommendations can be found below.
Here are the resources you need to worship in your home or small group this week. Feel free to select what works best for your family and situation.
Other Resources for Church@Home Service
You can choose a sermon from the selection for the week. You may like to watch Youtube Clips of the suggested hymns or access the backing tracks so you can sing along at home.
Select one of the following to add to your service (or view one of the Livestreaming options)
- Sermon 1, Matthew 25:1-13
- Sermon 2, Matthew 25:1-13
- Sermon 3, 1Thessalonians 4:13-18
- Sermon 4, Matthew 25:1-13
- LHB 454 Ye servants of God your Master proclaim | Backing Track |
- LHB 103 I know that my Redeemer lives | Backing Track |
- LHB 164 Love divine all loves excelling | Backing Track |
- LHB 487 Wake awake for night is flying | Backing Track |
Additional Prayer Points
Prayers for Victoria
On behalf of the people of Victoria and other areas facing outbreaks:
- Jesus, be with the people of Victoria as they struggle with strict lock-down measures. We pray that these measures will help bring an end to the suffering of many. Bring comfort and relief to all those who are struggling with sudden changes to their lives, and protect all essential service workers.
- Lord, we pray for the families of all those who are mourning the loss of loved ones. Envelope them in your love, and draw them close to you in their pain and loss.
- Father God, protect all your children in [insert name/s of areas affected]. Help officials to locate and contain the outbreak, and restore health to those afflicted with coronavirus.
For those in Victoria, and other areas facing outbreaks:
- Heavenly Father, we flee to you in this time of crisis, seeking your protection and comfort. Grant us peace and calm in the midst of this storm, Lord, and help us to place our trust in you.
- Lord God, thank you for health care workers and all those who place themselves in harm’s way to provide for our daily needs. Protect them as they go about their duties and give them rest and relief from the strain they carry.
- Heavenly Father, bring healing and comfort for people around the world suffering from Coronavirus COVID-19. Speed their recovery and slow the spread of the virus. We thank you for the efforts of all those involved in treating, testing and caring for patients, and ask your protection over them as they go about their work. Give wisdom to governments around the world as they manage this outbreak. We ask for your peace when we are tempted to panic or become anxious about this disease. Help us to place our trust in you, knowing that our life is safely hidden in you and that you are the Lord of all creation. Enable us to show your love to others, sharing the hope we have in you, praying and caring for the sick and needy as best we can in the name of Christ. Amen.
- The Lutheran World Federation has released the following prayer documents:Intercessory Prayer in the midst of the spread of COVID-19
The LWF released the following document on 20 March 2020:
- The LWF have also released Communion Prayer for the Easter Season 2020, which includes daily Psalmody, Bible text, meditation and prayer. You can download these resources here.
- Pray for people around the world. The Christian Conference of Asia has sent a resource entitled, ‘God Heal Us As We are Vulnerable’, which includes liturgy, songs and prayer intercessions. They ask that we join with all the churches of Asia in praying for the victims of COVID-19. You can find their resources here.
LCA International Mission