Dear pastors and caring members of the LCA,
The end of the school year signifies a time of change for many young people in our communities through transition to further education, part time or full time work and or change of living arrangements.
It is a time when they will be tested in terms safety and certainty.
We can help them move into adulthood in many practical ways:
Right now – establish their importance to your community
- Celebrate their achievements in your congregation. Celebrating these moments in the context of their faith family can imbue them with spiritual significance and remind them that God is part of their journey through the whole of life. (see Grow Ministries “faith moment ¬ High School Graduation“).
In the next few months help make new connections
Take the opportunity to spend time with them, and talk about what this time might mean for them, and encourage other adults to do the same.
If they are moving to another location,
- bless them as they leave, promise your continued care, and release them into the next phase of their life. (See Grow Ministries “faith moment “Moving Away“).
- Make an effort to help the young adult to find a new worshipping community
- Alert the receiving congregations to their presence and help make connections for them. See if you can make a partnership with the new congregation so that you are partners in care for the young person.
Make contact with their parents and encourage them to reflect on how they can help their young person make the transition.
Make sure to warmly welcome young people who arrive at your congregation, move quickly to develop a relationship with them, and connect them to others socially.
Next year stay connected
- Whether or not young people are moving, maintain your pastoral care for the whole of the next year. Young adults may well still experience their sending ‘home’ congregations as their primary spiritual home, even if they are not able to attend.
- Connect young adults to the people who can help them make connections in new locations or connect them to wider District ministries. (see the list of contacts below)
Pastor John Henderson
Bishop, Lutheran Church of Australia
9 November 2017
Resources from Grow Ministries
Growing Faith Moment – High School Graduation – https://www.growministries.org.au/media/wysiwyg/docs/grow-resources/Growing_Faith_Moment_-_High_School_Graduation.pdf
Growing Faith Moment – Moving Away – https://www.growministries.org.au/media/wysiwyg/docs/grow-resources/Growing_Faith_Moment_-_Moving_Away.pdf
Contact: Tom Schmidt, Young Adult Ministry Coordinator email@example.com 07 3512 7282
Contact: Pastor Matthew Thomas, Pastor Young Adult Ministry firstname.lastname@example.org 03 9236 1231
READ MORE STORIES ABOUT youth and young adults