Don't miss your monthly dose of inspiration and encouragement in this new column in The Lutheran. Catch up on any stories you missed, at the Going GREYt! webpage.
Meet the committee
Ministry with the Ageing
In Australia, nearly one in every six people are aged 65 years and older (Australian Bureau of Statistics 2016). Ministry with the Ageing seeks to support you as you minister in our communities to this growing group.
We aim to see the care of the ageing as a significant and flourishing ministry of the church.
We care for the ageing because God is a fundamentally merciful, loving and caring God. We are motivated by God’s goodness and mercy. And we know that every person, no matter how age has wearied them, has dignity and value because we are all created in the image of God.
Ministry with the Ageing is one of five departments in the Local Mission office. Partnering with us in mission are:
How we serve
The Committee for Ministry with the Ageing (CMA) – formerly Board for Lutheran Aged Care Australia – is a committee of the LCA Board for Local Mission. It acts as an advisory body whose main aims are to:
- provide advice, act as a point of reference, monitor, and report to the LCA Board for Local Mission on ministry with the ageing issues
- facilitate communication with all Lutheran agencies to generate awareness and active engagement in ministry with the ageing
- represent the views of the LCA, including Lutheran aged-care organisations, to government on ageing related issues, and communicate with government on their behalf.
The Committee for Ministry with the Ageing is producing discussion papers on a range of issues and is ensuring that resources on ministering with the ageing are readily available.
We’ve also teamed up with Lutheran Media to produce a video series on dementia. We provide scholarships which are available to anyone ministering to and with the ageing. We also advocate nationally on ageing issues on behalf of the LCA and represent the LCA on a national aged-care network.
We also provide funds that assist individuals to develop in their ministry with the ageing.
Scholarships in Ministry with the Ageing
Established in 2012, the scholarship scheme is for anyone ministering to and with the ageing. The Committee for Ministry with the Ageing invites you to apply. Have a read of the Scholarships FAQs for more details.
Governance Implementation Plan – Lutheran Aged Care and Community Services
In 2018 the General Church Council approved a Governance Enhancement Implementation Plan to enact the recommendations of the final ‘Way Forward’ report and the agreements reached during the dialogue process.
‘Serving after the service: toward a Lutheran understanding of Christian social service’ by Dean Zweck – download here
'God’s love – our care: theology underpinning the practice of Lutheran care' – download here
'Ministry with the Ageing' – download here
Dementia resources, produced in conjunction with Lutheran Media – visit webpage
End-of-life issues, a discussion paper on end-of-life issues – download here
People whose worldview is other than Christian within Australian Lutheran Aged and Community Care services, a discussion paper on multi-faiths within Lutheran Aged and Community Care – download here
'Respecting our Elders', a devotional litany resource – download here
LCA submissions – The Committee for Ministry with the Ageing, on behalf of the LCA, responded to the Australian Government’s Elder Abuse discussion paper. See the LCA submission here
'Ministry with Seniors', a valuable resource for anyone caring for seniors – download here
Papers from Lutheran Aged Care Conference 2012
- Care Transitions – Rehabilitation and Wellness Focus in Residential Care: Jo Boylan-Marsland, ACH Group
- Care Transitions – Palliative Care - Choice and Decision Making: Joy Nugent, Director of NurseLink
- Care Transitions – Palliative Care: Holistic Assessment and Care Planning: Yasmine Ruyssen, LHI Glynde, SA
- Social Networking and Telehealth – New Ways of Communicating: Mark Barnett, Australian Telehealth Network
- Staff Transitions – Holistic Development of Staff: Michael Dutschke, Delta Formation and Development
- Role Diversity for Chaplaincy: Pastor Gordon Wegener, Victorian District Hospital Chaplain Services & Witness Representative